1.11.2010

Love and Logic

There is a fantastic book that has changed mine and Brandon's lives called "Parenting With Love and Logic". Truly the greatest approach and advice on parenting that I've come across to date! But I'll save the sales pitch spiel for a different day...

I know that my kids watch me WAY too closely, but we've only been following these new techniques since Christmas. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that she picked up on it so quickly, I mean she mimics everything else I do (which is quite the eye-opening experience by the way)!

So we're eating dinner this evening and Hunter is fiddling with his food more than anything else. He scooped up a big hunk of rice and played with it on it's way to his uninterested mouth until it fell off the fork onto the table...

Me: "Hunter, that's messy, could you please pick that up?"
Hunter: "EWWWW! It's yucky!" (I know, I know.. a boy who doesn't like to get his hands dirty - what's up with that?!)
Bailey: "Hunter, you have two choices: You can pick your rice up and put it on your plate with your hands, or with your fork. You choose."
Hunter: "OooohKaaaaay..." (He chose the fork.)

Simply stated, priceless. I LOVE this book! Oh and PS. it's by Foster Cline, M.D. & Jim Fay. For all those who either have kids or plan on having them... FABULOUS!!! Changed my life and my view on parenting 110% (and I mean that in a VERY good way)! Of course if you don't want to go through the trouble of reading it, I could always rent you Bailey... ;)

5 comments:

  1. Neat, but will it work with the 7 and 11 year olds or are we in the "teach an old dog new tricks" problem....so cute that Bailey said that adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin you are seriously the best mother. I think you should write your own book:) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, this is the best parenting book on the planet. I read it when Jessica was about 4, and it made huge sense. The school system there in Waterford sometimes offers seminars for parents based on the book's principles, so clearly the teachers wish it was something more parents knew about.

    I personally think it is the closest parenting approach to how Heavenly Father treats us, so that is enough recommendation for me. Sounds like Bailey likes it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that- I work for a company that helps people with disabilities- they use this technique ALOT, moreso for lower functioning people, but it's great because they are still given a choice which prevents frustration and the need to rebel.

    It really does sound like you should just write your own book :)

    ReplyDelete