10.20.2011

Survival of the Fittest

In our fairly thorough preparations in coming to Brasil, we purchased a Pur water filter for the tap in the kitchen.  I despise spending money on stupid things (like bottled water), when you can save SO much in a worthy investment such as this!  Both my high maintenance husband and Amazing V still drank bottled water or milk since it "tasted weird"... babies... while the kids and I manned up and drank loyally from this beauty:
Yesterday we celebrated our 3 month anniversary here in Brasil... MY WORD time has flown!!! Today, remembering that the filter should be changed about every 3 months, I asked my man to make the switch. When he popped open the sucker we realized we had made one slight mistake in the initial installment... NO FILTER!!!  Oops!  Apparently water doesn't taste gross when it's actually filtered! :P
I am happy to report that the kids and I are are all alive and well despite drinking the forbidden tap water.. at least for now!  And you know what else??  The not-so-high-maintenance-afterall-hubster and Amazing V are now drinking from the Pur water filter since it is, officially, gostoso!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Something similar happened to me when I was staying with a Brazilian family - I always drank water from the pitcher in the fridge, which I assumed they were filling with filtered water.

    Then one day I saw the grandmother filling the pitcher at the tap.

    "I thought that water was filtered...?" I said.

    "Nope. I just put it in the fridge to keep it cold," she replied.

    I'd been drinking the forbidden tap water for months! (Nothing bad happened)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - SOOO glad I'm not the only one! ;) Certainly made for a good laugh as we reminisced how careful I've been to wash the fruits and veggies in only "purified" water, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tap water in Sao Paulo is pretty much like Tap water in LA. It's drinkable, and won't kill you, but you don't want to drink it for the long term because it's nasty.
    When I first got here my hubby turned to me and said, "Do you think that sacrament water is filtered?" or "do you think that salad you're eating was washed in filtered water? Or the juice you're drinking?" So I've kind of given up on avoiding the tap water, other than for taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO true! We all got sick in the beginning, but our immune systems have since stepped up to the plate!

    ReplyDelete