7.06.2011

Round Two

Not every woman gets to be proposed to twice by the man of her dreams.. so when my handsome hubby of seven years popped the question the other night, I FLIPPED! :)
Round One: 
January 11, 2004.  At 3:30am I hopped in my car bound and determined to make the 3 1/2 hour drive from Salt Lake City, Utah to Rexburg, Idaho to surprise my then-boyfriend with a little face time.  Sadly, I didn't make it far as my tin can of a car slid on black ice and ricocheted us off the median of the freeway. 

I don't remember the two saintly women who pulled me out of my car to safety.  I wish I had gotten their names..  I do remember it had started to snow, because it was my one bare foot, freezing while dragging through it, that momentarily brought me back to consciousness.  I wondered where my other shoe was, but couldn't form the words to ask.  The next time I woke up I saw a few men attempting to push my car out of the middle of the freeway before a snow plow truck demolished it even more.  I never did see the fate of that moment..  I don't remember dialing my then-boyfriend's number to tell him that I had crashed and didn't know where I was.. apparently that freaked the poor guy out because he jumped in his car to race to my aid. 

I wasn't coherent enough to ask for my collection of 200+ CDs, my wallet, or even my shoe, but I was somehow able to ask the paramedics for my snuggly white bear wearing a blue bathrobe that my sweetheart had given me.  Next thing I knew I was woken up by him, and before the Loratab could wear off and I could grasp what was going on, he popped the question in a room full of anxious family members who grew more anxious when it took a good while for my connectors to tell me that I wanted to say "YES!". 

The scare of a totalled car with a loved one in it sent his original plans to propose the following weekend in a flurry.  He couldn't secure our future fast enough, in the hopes that I wouldn't almost get myself killed again any time soon..  I'm happy to report that I have no more incidents to report since that day! 
Needless to say, diamonds are a rare and foolish commodity in Sao Paulo, a city where poverty and affluence live side by side.  It is pretty well understood that if you dress flashy, you're asking for it.  No bling. Especially on an easy to snatch ring!  So when my man saw an opportunity to play out his original plan, he pounced!

Round Two:  Kids with Grandma? Check.  A Sunday stroll through temple square in SLC? Check.  One surprised and ecstatic wife?  PRICELESS... 

We toured the LDS Conference Center which was a first for me.  It was amazing of course, but I was just happy to have some alone time with my hubby!  The grand finale was a tour of the roof top which is 4 acres of gardens, fountains, and pure Utah beauty.  With the mountains surrounding you, and a front row seat to one of my most favorite buildings EVER, my sweet husband got down on one knee and asked me to continue to be his wife as we take our journey to Brazil, with a Brazil appropriate ring.  This time, my connectors were firing at full speed.. umm "YES!!!".   

Now I am VERY ready for our new adventure to begin.. left hand and all!
Is my man smooth??  Like butter baby :)  And I must say.. he's got pretty darn good taste too, I couldn't have chosen a more perfect ring myself!

2 comments:

  1. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart just melted along with the butter. ;) BOTH are incredibly gorgeous rings!!! What a special keepsake and treasure to have! What a memory and sweet experience to start this new journey together. Kudos to Brandon. I keep thinking of reasons why that was such a fantastic and romantic idea. What a treasure for generations to come....your Brazil wedding ring. I've been thinking of you so much. I am glad your visas came and all is "set." You are a much braver woman than I! Thinking of you and sending prayers your way! ~Ashlie PS. If you need anyone to wear your other diamond while you are down there, I would gladly volunteer. ;) Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL thanks Ashlie ;) It was such a sweet day! And I'll make you a deal.. you come visit me before I head to Brazil next week and you can babysit my diamond for me! ;) I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete